Legionella (also known as Legionnaires disease) is a progressive and potentially fatal atypical pneumonia caused by the inhalation of water droplets containing Legionella bacteria. The onset is relatively abrupt with a membrane covering the lungs (pleurisy), high fever, headache, muscle pains, chills, confusion, etc, which can in some cases lead to death.
Legionella bacteria form in hot and cold water systems such as plumbing, shower heads, water storage tanks and cooling towers. An average of 250 cases of Legionnaires disease are reported each year in the UK. It is estimated that about 12% of those who contract it will die. Those who survive may never fully recover.
Under the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations, owners and operators of all commercial premises (including: Facilities Management, Healthcare, Education, Hotels & Stadiums and Others) have a legal responsibility to control the risk of Legionella bacteria in water systems. Owners and operators of all commercial properties are required to:
- Identify and assess the sources of risk (see Legionella Risk Assessment for more information)
- Prepare a scheme for preventing or controlling the risk
- Appoint a person to be managerially responsible
- Implement and manage precautions
- Keep records of the precautions implemented
24-7 Elite Clean Legionella compliance services
24-7 Elite Clean offers a range of Legionella control services to help you ensure that your properties remain healthy, safe, legal and compliant, find out more:
In addition, we provide:
- FREE Quotation/Technical advice
- Works carried out in accordance with the Legionella Control Association (LCA) code of conduct.
- Risk Assessments and control schemes carried out in accordance with L8 guidelines.
- All works fully certified and legionella control log books provided.
- Fully trained staff.
- Method Statements and Risk Assessments provided.
- Training for your own staff following risk assessment.
Contact Us for more information or for your FREE, no obligation quote.